For September 2019, Worksop College is looking for an enthusiastic and talented recent graduate to assist its staff in providing an inspirational education by practical example in any instrumental or vocal discipline.
Worksop College is looking to appoint a talented and energetic individual to join this exciting department. This post may be adapted to suit the specific talents of the candidate but duties will include some or all of the following:
- A share in the accompaniment of pupils in concerts, competitions and examinations as well as organ playing for chapel services;
- provision of Theory and Aural Classes;
- running of after school composition clinics/seminars;
- assistance with the choirs, orchestra and chamber groups as required by the Director of Music;
- supervision of Music Scholars’ practice sessions (all full-time staff take a share in this) – both monitoring attendance and helping students to practise effectively;
- assistance with practices for Musical Productions;
- assistance with the running of the recording studio and the recording of concerts (no prior experience necessary);
- regular co-teaching of Year 7-9 classes and assistance with the teaching of other aspects of the Music curriculum according to the GMA’s own specialisms or areas of interest;
- help with the upkeep of the department’s libraries, especially the chapel choir library;
In addition to musical activity, the successful candidate will be part of a team of Graduate Assistant Staff with similar wider responsibilities within the school and in this way Worksop College aims to provide individuals with an all-encompassing experience of school life.
In the classroom
In the first few months, our Graduate Assistants are given plenty of opportunity to observe lessons and learn about what it takes to teach. You will be expected to support teachers by preparing activities before the lesson, as well as assisting in class. As the year progresses, you can move on to teaching elements of classwork with the support of the class teacher – there is ample opportunity to learn more and test your communication skills.
In addition to the academic role, every Graduate Assistant at Worksop is expected to contribute fully to the wider aspects of education. Worksop College is renowned for the quality of its pastoral care and all Grads are attached to one of the eight boarding or day houses.
All members of staff at Worksop are expected to play a full part in extra-curricular activities. These embrace a full range of sports, music, societies, expeditions, drama, many forms of art and technology, CCF, voluntary service, and a wide range of hobbies.
A wide range of evening activities run from 8pm. During the week, you will oversee students partaking in their activities and hobbies, whether that may be a book club, badminton or computer programming.
Whilst the above list may seem extensive, it is recognised that the candidate will also need some time to pursue personal goals (such as instrumental practice) and possibly a certain degree of freelance activity. The College would seek to support such activities provided that sufficient notice is given and that duties at the College can be covered. In return, it is anticipated that the Graduate Music Assistant will fulfil, and possibly enlarge, the role in proactive and creative manner.
What else we can offer for the right people
- An opportunity to observe teaching and decide whether a career in teaching is right
- A second year as an unqualified teacher where we cover the costs of qualification through Teach Direct
What we give in return
- On site accommodation
- Use of our facilities (including a gym, swimming pool, tennis courts)
- All meals during term-time
- A modest stipend £8,500 (Ten monthly payments of £850)
Application Deadline: applications are currently being reviewed as we receive them and interviews arranged on an ad hoc basis. Candidates may wish to make an informal enquiry before applying. The advertisement will be removed from the College website once an appointment has been made for September 2019.
Further details regarding the post can be sought from Timothy Uglow, Director of Music – 01909 537143 or firstname.lastname@example.org